Our dear, sweet Frayed_Knot has passed away

Having trouble logging in or registering? Let us know here, and we'll help out ASAP. This forum also contains QWHIP.com-related archives.
QWHIPMaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:40 am

Tush notified me this morning that Charles Sinclair, aka Frayed_Knot, has died.

Here's an announcement with some memories and pictures from a friend:

http://antebellumgallery.blogspot.com/2 ... a15b736860" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His long-forgotten MySpace page, which includes many photos:

http://www.myspace.com/sheila_noya/photos/2979823#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;{%22ImageId%22%3A2979823}

For those of you who got a chance to meet him, I -- and probably most everyone else here -- am envious that you experienced the wit, wisdom and absurdist humor that was at the core of the man.

RIP, Frayed_Knot. Life is a banquet, and while most poor suckers were starving to death, you lived, lived, lived.
sock puppet

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:14 pm

such a fine fellow! i've always appreciated his unique way of saying things. like an eccentric kind of poetry.
wherever he's gone to, i'm sure they'll be entertained.

adios, señor knot! k i s s
QWHIPMaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:39 pm

I found his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/charles.sinclair.547" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cade

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:59 pm

uggggg..... this makes me very very sad. his wit and wisdom and just plain fun never ceased to amuse and educate. he was a true Hot Flash from a bygone era.

RIP, buddy.
greenman
Location: Green Man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbhQURN9Szw

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Damn. I'm so sorry to hear that. His health has been fragile for a while. I never met him in person but we traded PMs and he was an amazing person, funny and generous, bringing that slightly skewed, almost Dada perspective to everything. He was always "hip" but never above it all, never dismissive or exclusionary.

Rest in peace, Sweet Man. The world lost a good one.
George_W_Tush
Location: Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were executed for sharing government secrets with the Russians.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:45 pm

One of the best things I've done in the past few years was traveling to Boston to meet this man. The things he would post here really were eccentric poetry, just as sock puppet wrote. I always was left thinking that this man was the real thing. Original. Unique. I thought that the smart thing to do would be to meet him, if at all possible.

Last spring, the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston had an exhibit of the glass works created by Chihuly. Charles raved about it here and posted links to photos of the exhibit, or I would not have known. I messaged him that I would love to see the exhibit and in reply, I was summoned to Boston. I took an early train on a Saturday and met him in the plaza in front of the Holyoke Center near Harvard Square. He said that was his favorite place in Boston to sit and watch life go by. He took me right off to a restaurant that he liked for lunch and the first thing he did was order for me a Bacon Bloody Mary. It was made with bacon infused vodka and came trimmed, to Charles' great delight, with strips of bacon hanging from the glass. He loved it and began snapping pictures of the drink. After lunch, he took me all over Boston. Oh, you have to see this. Oh, right down here... Oh, let me show you.... Snapping photos the entire way. He was building a collection of photos of lost gloves and he seemed to spot them all over town. I, of course, had never noticed, but Charles was on it. And then we had dinner. And after dinner, he had 10 more things to show me.

The next day we met up again, this time for the Chihuly exhibit. My tour of the exhibit was delightfully narrated with insight, snark and irreverence by Charles.

When I returned to Boston at the end of the summer, he commanded that I should see the de Cordova Sculpture Park, just outside of Boston, near his hometown of Bedford, MA. That was the afternoon of last summer's earthquake on the East Coast. Neither of us felt it, but he was delighted by the news that the Earth Had Moved on the day we made our trip to the de Cordova. He guided us to Walden Pond where he said he often swam as a child. It must have been true as he absolutely marched (danced!) to a different drummer. Afterwards, he made me drive to the Bedford Public Library to see the Bedford Flag. It's a relic of the Revolutionary era and it is kept in the neighborhood library in a very small locked room. You get the key from the librarian and you go into the room and view the flag, behind glass, barely illuminated. And then you leave. It belongs in a museum, but they've got it locked in a closet. He loved the absurdity of it and said it was a triumphant metaphor for everything else about Bedford.

Last winter he came to NYC for a sexual fetish performance art piece that involved a lot of piercing and massive amounts of blood letting. He wanted me to accompany him to it, but I held my ground. I met him in Penn Station and took him to the dingy loft on the Lower East Side where this was to occur. Along the way, he found many lost gloves to photograph.

I saw him for the last time in May of this year. He and I and Mr. Tush traveled to meet Pocket Bitch. Charles had only just gotten out of the hospital a few days earlier, but he would not miss meeting PB. Once one gets a pace maker, one should know to live fully. He did that day. He loved meeting her. As did I. It was a great day.

I didn't know him really well, but gosh I'm glad I got to spend time with him in the past year and a half. He didn't hold back. Once he met you and liked you, there were no barriers. He was an unforgettable man and I am so much richer for that time we shared, "breathing the same air," as he always said.

Ah... I just found his LinkedIn profile. Here's the photo he used. Image
Ogdred Weary

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:56 pm

Thank you for writing about that memory, Tush. I'll miss the unique Frayed_Knot and his inimitable observations.
CopyGuy

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:06 pm

So sorry to hear this. We talked on the phone when I was up in Boston, but we never had the chance to get together. He was one of a kind.
SteveS

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:31 pm

I loved hearing his stories of the past. RIP Charles.
BananaHumpingMonkey
Location: Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:32 pm

A star has gone dark.

I'm so deeply saddened by this news, I'm finding it difficult to speak right now. I knew it was coming, but I'm still not ready for it. I loved this guy. In many ways he was my Qwhip "soulmate." We signed up around the same time and instantly bonded over a shared appreciation of Zappa, Bonzo Dog Doodah Band, all things Mad, underground comics, poetry, words, Beatnik slang, just about anything offbeat, absurdist, slightly rude and comically subversive. Often times I knew he would probably be the only one to "get" some comment or reference that I made, and vice versa. We could also speak to each other musically, and did, frequently. I'll miss that. And him. Very, very much. Qwhip was a better place for having had the privilege of knowing him and these pages will seem a lot emptier without him.

Have a good journey, my friend, and I hope we'll meet again someday. If you finally find The Perfect Chocolate Cake, please save me a piece!

PS--Say Hi to Frank.
greenman
Location: Green Man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbhQURN9Szw

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Something he posted a while back.

BananaHumpingMonkey
Location: Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Oh, dear. Creepy, yet appropriate. He would love it!

He has a YouTube channel with quite a few personal videos uploaded. There is footage of the previously mentioned Chihuly exhibit as well as other things of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/user/charvesa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Charvesa" was also a frequent commenter, you may notice a quip of his from time to time.
George_W_Tush
Location: Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were executed for sharing government secrets with the Russians.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:48 pm

I just remembered this. Charles had a scene in a movie with Tori Spelling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCmy3UO8vy4#t=4m51s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can't miss him.
Edna Welthorpe (Mrs.)

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:52 pm

In my line of work, I have to say goodbye quite frequently.

It never gets any easier.

At least I had a chance to know him.

EW (Mrs.)
Ogdred Weary

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:59 pm

George_W_Tush wrote:I just remembered this. Charles had a scene in a movie with Tori Spelling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCmy3UO8vy4#t=4m51s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can't miss him.
LOL "A very special guest," indeed.
BananaHumpingMonkey

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:51 pm

After his week long absence, I was feeling a bit worried last night and so decided to check his Facebook page, and those of some of his friends to see if there was any mention of something happening. I only clicked a few, but I guess I chose all the wrong ones. I just hit paydirt-- https://www.facebook.com/marshall.r.goldberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Lots of nice pics, there, too.) Apparently, it happened a week ago today, on August 15, 2012. His last QW post was August 14.

QWM: Is there a way we can preserve his QW posts?
pocket bitch

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:56 pm

A star has gone dark.
Indeed, I think it was the sun.

I loved the man too. That kind of split-second love that comes along in a rare blue moon, comprised of a hug hello and a hug goodbye and 50 million moments of absolute understanding in between. We had nothing in common, except maybe Major Mudd. That was the first time Charles PM'd me. I didn't know what the hell he was talking about half the time on the board but I was always thrilled to get a cryptic, nonsensical nudge, wink or cheers! from him. In fact his last PM was simply that: Cheers! And I toasted him back. Easy to think that was prophetic. I prefer to think it was the usual.

I don't pretend to have a clue why he wanted to come north with Tush to meet me this spring. He seemed to have lived a life of grand and entertaining adventure and well ... let's face it, I have not. So really, was he SURE?! I never asked outright but I hinted at an Out if he wanted one. He ignored me. I suspect most of it was Tush's doing k i s s and most likely Charles thought to visit some old stomping grounds north of the city.

No matter, he came and when Tush drove him back home, already feeling the consequences of having indulged too much IIRC (Tush, I think he mentioned something about gas and that you and the Mr. suffered as much as he did in the enclosed car!), I thought 'What IS it about the man?' And this is what I came up with: he was like a hundred different friends I'd met throughout life all rolled into one endearing, engaging package. It felt like we'd been friends for life. I don't say this as a postmortem tribute. I think it was honest-to-God the way he was with everyone.

Tush and I co-conspired in the front seat of the car to keep him contained at a healthful pace but he was having nothing to do with that. He was on a mission to photograph abandoned gloves and arcane beach attractions. He wanted to go to Ogunquit, Maine; we wanted him to stay in Newburyport, Massachusetts. We compromised by going to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. He ate the wrong things, walked way too much, tried to climb fences and generally exhausted himself in every way he could, all the while loving every minute and I suspect loving that he was leading us all around by our collective noses.

I seem to be at a loss and can't think how to continue so I guess that's all I've got, just the one brief, unforgettable moment in time with a man who delighted in life and had the gift of sharing that with others. I'm glad -- such an inadequate word -- to have had the one small adventure with him; I wish there could've been more.

He was a sweet, beautiful man and I will miss him very much.
Al.Pa.Ca.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Oh, dear. My main thought right now is that I'm holding a fhckibg iPhone and can't write well what I'm feeling right now.

We met only a month ago at the screening of a documentary he was in, he introduced me to the others in it, chatted about life in our respective circles and yes, indeed went to the Bikestop. He held his own very well there despite it being a crowded Saturday late night with tons of evil queens casting shade, but Charles had surely encountered worse and survived it.

Gosh, I'm so sorry see this news here but enormously grateful for having met him and helped entertain each other over the years here.
BananaHumpingMonkey

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:53 pm

BananaHumpingMonkey

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:55 pm

serendipity

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:23 am

This is so sad. His unique humor will certainly be missed.
Layabout

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:56 pm

RIP gentle man.
BuenosAires

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:46 pm

I am so very sorry to hear this. One of our group, which is special to me and to all of us, obviously. Very sad. But isn't it nice to see the reaction of everyone and to see how he mattered, even just through something as simple as a keyboard for most of us. If you can be well remembered for that, imagine the mark he made in real life.
BananaHumpingMonkey

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:20 pm

I think it's time to commence the musical portion of the program. Drinking and dancing allowed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBYsen ... ature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Troll

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:26 am

RIP